Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wolf Demons and Flying Again

When I was young, I lived on a farm with my family. We were plagued by demons and hauntings. After several exorcisms, we were able to live in peace while I grew up
One of the demons we exorcised was an aggressive wolf demon. He was one of the few whom we feared would return. One day, like any other normal day, we found puppies playing in the house. We tried to shoo them out, but any time we got close, they ran away. Well, the puppy barks became deeper, louder, more dog-like. At first I was confused, but then I remembered the wolf demon. I ran to the side door and saw two wolves sitting there, staring me down. I said to my younger brothers and sisters: "quick, get to the back door. don't let them in!" the back door was how they had gotten in last time.

Before I could get to there to repel them, 6-7 wolves had managed to get into my house. They were lined up and ready to fight. My brothers and sisters appeared ready to fight too, but we had no weapons. I said "no, don't fight them." and we surrendered.

The leader was a black wolf who could shape change to a human, but he always looked wolf-like. dark, dirty face, bright eyes. we were walking in my backyard on a path above a dry streambed. he was talking about his plans. "wolves have been oppressed for a long time. Hated, feared, killed. That stops now."

"So you're staging a campaign? Will you leave when it's finished?
"No."
"I can help you. We can all help you. All you have to do is ask."
"No."
"Then will you subjugate us?" He smiles. Yes.

I am fed up. Anger rises within me and I walk silently. We get to the end of the deck and he turns his back on me. I know he's a demon, I know that faith and willpower can weaken him, so I attempt to tear him apart with my mind. It works, he is torn in two. He falls over the railing into the stream bed. I lean over to watch him and make sure he stays dead, but the parts start trembling. I know that he will put himself back together and seek revenge.

Having known this wolf demon as a child, I thought I understood his nature. I knew that he was ruthless with his enemies, but I took a gamble on whether he would hurt a cub. "Tell him where I went. Don't tell him where I'm going." I take off at a run.

I'm terrified. I know that wolves are faster than me. I hope the time he takes to get himself back together is enough time for me to come up with a decent plan.

I hear my name called and I turn around. My creepy neighbor is chasing me down. I despair. I know now how the wolves got in. He continues to call my name. He is gaining ground. He will overtake me soon.

I despair, but then he says "You have a tool that they don't have!"

I am confused. He's a crazy old man, but something about what he said rang a bell. Then I remembered. I have wings. Large, strong, proud wings. I had flown before but forgotten how, and in forgetting that I forgot that I ever had them.

I remember the joy of flight, how free I could be. I imagine that I have wings again, imagine the feel of their strength and power. I start to pick up speed and altitude and am able to fly several more blocks before I tire. I land on a shed to rest.

But now the Wolf Demon is coming. I can hear his howls and the baying of his pack. I can sense him as he speeds toward me and my shed. He knows exactly where I am. I am terrified, and already I can feel my wings weaken.

I try desperately to hold on to the feelings of flight, but they are quelled by the abject terror in my soul. In my despair, I think of my brothers and sisters, how much they still need me, and what the Wolf Demon might do to them if I can't draw him off. I need to protect them. Their need gives me the surge of willpower I necessary to summon my full wingspan and take off. It has begun to rain.

I tire again quickly, but I am a few hundred yards further and higher when I do. I alight in a willow tree with hope in my heart.

I am tired, but I am high in a willow tree, too high for them to get me. And I've remembered my wings, so I pull out my umbrella and wait for the scary wolves to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment